L'Académie nouvelle

Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
L'Académie nouvelle

Forum d'archivage politique et scientifique

-39%
Le deal à ne pas rater :
Ordinateur portable ASUS Chromebook Vibe CX34 Flip
399 € 649 €
Voir le deal

George Lakoff, Moral Politics. How Liberals and Conservatives Think

Johnathan R. Razorback
    Johnathan R. Razorback
    Admin

George Lakoff, Moral Politics. How Liberals and Conservatives Think Empty George Lakoff, Moral Politics. How Liberals and Conservatives Think

Message par Johnathan R. Razorback Lun 9 Aoû - 10:01

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Lakoff

https://fr.1lib.fr/book/5233735/671287

"Conservatives and progressives typically support opposite policies because they have opposite moral worldviews—opposite notions of right and wrong. Moral worldviews are important to people, part of their self-identity. People tend to think of themselves as good and moral, not taking into account that there could be an opposite view of what is moral."

"Only a tiny amount of our thought is conscious. A typical estimate is about 2 percent, with about 98 percent of thought unconscious.

Moral worldviews, like most deep ways of understanding the world, are typically unconscious. The more that a neural “idea-circuit” is used, the stronger it gets—and may eventually become permanent, effectively “hard-wired.” Hence, most of what we will be discussing in this book occurs at the neural level and is likely to be unconscious."

"Deep and persisting moral worldviews tend to be part of your brain circuitry and tend to become part of your identity. In most cases, the neural wiring—and your identity—stay, and the facts are ignored, dismissed, ridiculed, or attacked. It takes extraordinary openness, training, and awareness of this phenomenon to pay critical attention to the vast number of facts we are presented with each day. Few members of the general public—or those in politics or the media—fit this profile."

"I work in a discipline that studies how people conceptualize the world. It is called cognitive science, which is the interdisciplinary study of the mind. It is a broad discipline, covering everything from vision, memory, and attention to everyday reasoning and language. The subfield most concerned with issues of worldview, that is, with everyday conceptualization, reasoning, and language, is cognitive linguistics. I have been a cognitive linguist virtually from the birth of the field, and it is my profession to study how we conceptualize our everyday lives and how we think and talk about them. The study of political concepts and political discourse falls under the job description of those in my field, though until now research in the area has been relatively sparse."

"One of the most fundamental results in cognitive science, one that comes from the study of commonsense reasoning, is that most of our thought is unconscious—not unconscious in the Freudian sense of being repressed, but unconscious simply in that we are not aware of it. We think and talk at too fast a rate and at too deep a level to have conscious awareness and control over everything we think and say. We are even less conscious of the components of thoughts—concepts. When we think, we use an elaborate system of concepts, but we are not usually aware of just what those concepts are like and how they fit together into a system.

That is what I study: what, exactly, our unconscious system of concepts is and how we think and talk using that system of concepts. In recent years, my work has centered on two components of conceptual systems: conceptual metaphors and categories, especially radial categories and prototypes. A conceptual metaphor is a conventional way of conceptualizing one domain of experience in terms of another, often unconsciously. For example, many people may not be aware that we commonly conceptualize morality in terms of financial transactions and accounting. If you do me a big favor, I will be indebted to you, I will owe you one, and I will be concerned about repaying the favor. We not only talk about morality in terms of paying debts, but we also think about morality that way. Concepts like retribution, restitution, revenge, and justice are typically understood in such financial terms. As we shall see, examples like these are the tip of the iceberg. Much of moral reasoning is metaphorical reasoning, as will become apparent below. It should also become apparent, if this example does not already make it clear, that metaphorical thought need not be poetic or especially rhetorical. It is normal, everyday thought. Not every common concept is metaphorical, but a surprising number are."

"Much of what we read on the daily op-ed pages of our finest newspapers is metaphorical commonsense reasoning. Let us consider a very simple example, taken from a column by Washington Post columnist William Raspberry (as it appeared in the Houston Chronicle, section A, p. 30, February 4, 1995). The column begins straightforwardly enough:

The government of the District of Columbia is reeling from a newly discovered budget shortfall of at least $722 million and there is growing talk of a congressional takeover of the city.

After an example of spending he considers questionable, Raspberry says:

What is about to do us in . . . is the poor but compassionate mother with a credit card. To put it another way, a huge amount of the city’s stupendous debt is the result of the local government’s effort to do good things it can’t afford.

He then gives a list of examples of good things the city government wants to do and which he thinks it can’t afford, and finishes the column as follows:

But a good chunk of the underlying problem is the compassionate mom attitude that says: If it’s good for the kid to have, then I ought to buy it—and worry later about where the money will come from.
    Well, Mom not only has reached her credit limit:she’s in so much trouble that scrimping and saving now won’t solve the problem. She’ll need a bailout from Congress. But then, she has to learn to say no—not just to junk food but to quality cuts of meat she can’t afford.

None of Raspberry’s readers have any problem understanding this column. He writes it as if it were just common sense. Yet, it is an elaborate conceptual metaphor, and he is reasoning in terms of this metaphor.
    In the metaphor, the government is an overindulgent, impractical mother and the citizens are her children. She has no self-discipline; she is indulging her children irresponsibly, using money she doesn’t have. This is not merely politics, it is a story with a moral. The moral is that Mom will have to learn self-discipline (“to say no”) and self-denial (“to quality cuts of meat she can’t afford”). Only then will she be a good mother.

We all understand this column, and to many readers it will seem like common sense. But why ? Is the metaphor that government is a parent and the citizens are children newly made up ? Or is it familiar, a metaphor we already know ? And why should readers be willing to reason about a government in this way ? Why don’t they just reject the metaphor as ridiculous ? Why don’t readers—all readers—say in response, “What’s all this nonsense about indulgent moms ? Let’s get real and talk about the details of economics and policy.” But readers don’t. The column is “just common sense.” And moreover, it is conservative common sense.

The logical structure of the column is determined by metaphor, not by facts. One could have taken the same budget shortfall and framed it in a different way. One could have observed that Washington, D.C., must have city services beyond its population to serve the large number of relatively well-off civil service workers, lobbyists, and others who live in the wealthy suburbs but work in town. One could also have mentioned that it is the responsibility of Congress to see that the city is maintained properly and that it lives by a humane standard, indeed that it should set a standard for the country. One could then apply the metaphor of the government as parent to Congress, seeing Congress as a deadbeat dad, refusing to pay for the support of his children, the citizens of Washington, D.C. One could then have drawn the moral that deadbeat dad Congress must meet his responsibilities and pay, no matter how tough it is for him. This is just common sense—a different kind of common sense. What, exactly, is conservative common sense ? How does it differ from liberal common sense ? And what role, exactly, does metaphorical thought play in the everyday common-sense reasoning of conservatives and liberals ? As we shall see, the metaphor used in this column, that of the government as parent, has a great deal to do with conservative common sense in general, as well as with what conservatism is as a political and moral philosophy."

"Radial categories are the most common of human conceptual categories. They are not definable in terms of some list of properties shared by every member of the category. Instead, they are characterized by variations on a central model. Take the category mother. The central model is characterized by four submodels. (1) The birth model: the mother is one who gives birth. (2) The genetic model: the mother is the female from whom you get half your genetic traits. (3) The nurturance model: your mother is the person who raises and nurtures you. And (4) The marriage model: your mother is the wife of your father. In the most basic case, all conditions hold. But modern life is complex, and the category extends to cases where only some of these conditions are met. Hence, there are special terms like birth mother, genetic mother, foster mother, stepmother, surrogate mother, adoptive mother, and so on.

Another example of a radial category is forms of harm. The central case is physical harm. But the category also includes kinds of harm that are metaphorically understood in terms of physical harm, e.g., financial harm, political harm, social harm, and psychological harm. Our courts recognize that these are all forms of harm, yet they also recognize the centrality of physical harm, for which the most severe penalties are usually reserved.

Radial categories, with central cases and variations on them, are normal in the human mind. And, as we shall see, the categories of conservative and liberal are also radial categories. This is important to realize because conservative and liberal are very complex categories, with a great many variations. The theory of radial categories allows us to account for both the central tendencies and the variations."

"The central members of radial categories are one subtype of a general phenomenon called “prototypes” [...] There are many types of prototypes and it is important to discuss them at the outset since they will play a major role throughout the book. A prototype is an element of a category (either a subcategory or an individual member) that is used to represent the category as a whole in some sort of reasoning. All prototypes are cognitive constructions used to perform a certain kind of reasoning; they are not objective features of the world.

Here are some of the basic types of prototypes that play a role in American politics and that will recur throughout this book:

1. The central subcategory of a radial category: This provides the basis for extending the category in new ways and for defining variations. Political examples will include central types of liberals and conservatives.

2. A typical case prototype: This characterizes typical cases and is used to draw inferences about category members as a whole, unless it is made clear that we are operating with a nontypical case.
    For example, what we consider to be typical birds fly, sing, are not predators, and are about the size of a robin or sparrow. If I say “There’s a bird on the porch,” you will draw the conclusion that it is a typical case prototype, unless I indicate otherwise. If I speak of a typical American, what comes to mind for many is an adult white male Protestant, who is native-born, speaks English natively, and so on.

3. An ideal case prototype: This defines a standard against which other subcategories are measured.
    We will be discussing what conservatives and liberals think of as an ideal parent, an ideal citizen, and an ideal person.

4. An anti-ideal prototype: This subcategory exemplifies the worst kind of subcategory, a “demon” subcategory. It defines a negative standard.
    Liberals and conservatives have very different kinds of demons, and we will discuss the types and how they are used in reasoning.

5. A social stereotype: This is a model, widespread in a culture, for making snap judgments—judgments without reflective thought—about an entire category, by virtue of suggesting that the stereotype is the typical case.
    Social stereotypes are commonly used in unreflective or biased discourse. Examples include the Drunken Irishman (used to suggest that the Irish typically drink to excess), the Industrious Japanese (used to suggest that the Japanese are typically industrious), and so on. Ethnic and gender stereotypes constantly enter into political discourse, as do political stereotypes. Stereotypes can either be based on myth or on individual well-known examples.

6. A salient exemplar: A single memorable example that is commonly used in making probability judgments or in drawing conclusions about what is typical of category members.
    It is commonplace in political discourse to use a salient exemplar as if it were a typical case; for example, popularizing the case of a single welfare cheater to suggest that everyone on welfare cheats.

7. An essential prototype: This is a hypothesized collection of properties that, according to a commonplace folk theory, characterizes what makes a thing the kind of thing it is, or what makes a person the kind of person he is.
    Essential properties of birds are, among others, that they have feathers, wings, and beaks, and lay eggs. Rational thought is seen as an essential property of human beings. In moral discourse, the notion of character is seen as defined by an essential prototype. Your character is what makes you what you are and determines how you will behave.

None of these should be strange or unfamiliar. All of these are normal products of the human mind, and they are used in normal everyday discourse. There is nothing surprising about their use in politics, but we do need to be aware of how they are used. It is important, as we shall see, not to confuse a salient exemplar with a typical case, or a typical case (say, the typical politician) with an ideal case (like the ideal politician)."

"I found that, using analytic techniques from cognitive linguistics, I could describe the moral systems of both conservatives and liberals in considerable detail, and could list the metaphors for morality that conservatives and liberals seemed to prefer. What was particularly interesting was that they seemed to use virtually the same metaphors for morality but with different—almost opposite —priorities. This seemed to explain why liberals and conservatives could seem to be talking about the same thing and yet reach opposite conclusion —and why they could seem to be talking past each other with little understanding much of the time.

At this point, I asked myself a question whose answer was not at first obvious: What unifies each of the lists of moral priorities ? Is there some more general idea that leads conservatives to choose one set of metaphorical priorities for reasoning about morality, and liberals another ? Once the question was posed, the answer came quickly. It was what conservatives were talking about nonstop: the family. Deeply embedded in conservative and liberal politics are different models of the family. Conservatism, as we shall see, is based on a Strict Father model, while liberalism is centered around a Nurturant Parent model. These two models of the family give rise to different moral systems and different discourse forms, that is, different choices of words and different modes of reasoning."

"Consider conservatism. What does opposition to abortion have to do with opposition to environmentalism ? What does either have to do with opposition to affirmative action or gun control or the minimum wage ? A model of the conservative mind ought to answer these questions, just as a model of the liberal mind ought to explain why liberals tend to have the cluster of opposing political stands. The question of explanation is paramount. How, precisely, can one explain why conservatives and liberals have the clusters of policies they have ?

Even the basics of conservative and liberal discourse require explanation. Conservatives argue that social safety nets are immoral because they work against self-discipline and responsibility. Liberals argue that tax cuts for the wealthy are immoral because they help people who don’t need help and don’t help people who do need help. What moral systems lead each of them to make these arguments and to reject the arguments of the other ? Why do conservatives like to talk about discipline and toughness, while liberals like to talk about need and help ? Why do liberals like to talk about social causes, while conservatives don’t ?

The answers, I will argue, come from differences in their models of the family and in family-based morality—from the distinction between what I will call the Strict Father and Nurturant Parent models. The link between family-based morality and politics comes from one of the most common ways we have of conceptualizing what a nation is, namely, as a family. It is the common, unconscious, and automatic metaphor of the Nation-as-Family that produces contemporary conservatism from Strict Father morality and contemporary liberalism from Nurturant Parent morality."

"Because people do not use the same models in all aspects of their lives, a political conservative could very well use the Nurturant Parent model in his family life but not in his political life, just as a political liberal could use Strict Father morality in his family life but the Nurturant Parent model in his political life. Strict fathers can be political liberals and nurturant parents can be political conservatives.

Contemporary conservative politics tries to link the family use and the political use of the models more closely ; to point out that conservatives have the Strict Father model of the family and to convince others with the Strict Father model of the family that they should be political conservatives. I suspect that they are being successful at convincing people who believe in and identify with the Strict Father model of the family to vote conservative. For example, blue-collar workers who may previously have voted with liberals because of their union affiliation or economic interests may now, for cultural reasons, identify with conservatives and vote for them, even though it may not be in their economic interest to do so."

"It is vital to be as clear as possible about the line between what one can discover about morality and politics using the tools of one’s profession and what one’s own moral and political commitments are.
    There are those who believe that drawing such a line is impossible, and maybe it is. But I am going to do my best anyway. In the first nineteen chapters of this book, I will be functioning as a cognitive scientist. I will be providing, to the best of my abilities, a cognitive analysis of the moral and political worldviews of conservatives and liberals in contemporary America, an analysis that I hope will be independent of any political prejudice.

But I cannot hide my own moral and political views and I will not try to. In the last few chapters of the book, I will give some reasons for why I am a liberal, reasons based not on liberal ideology itself but on external considerations.

I consider this book to be anything but an idle academic exercise. Because conservatives understand the moral dimension of our politics better than liberals do, they have been able not only to gain political victories but to use politics in the service of a much larger moral and cultural agenda for America, an agenda that if carried out would, I believe, destroy much of the moral progress made in the twentieth century. Liberals have been helpless to stop them, largely, I think, because they don’t understand the conservative worldview and the role of moral idealism and the family within it.

Moreover, liberals do not fully comprehend the moral unity of their own politics and the role that the family plays in it. Liberals need to understand that there is an overall, coherent liberal politics which is based on a coherent, well-grounded, and powerful liberal morality. If liberals do not concern themselves very seriously and very quickly with the unity of their own philosophy and with morality and the family, they will not merely continue to lose elections but will as well bear responsibility for the success of conservatives in turning back the clock on progress in America.

Conservatives know that politics is not just about policy and interest groups and issue-by-issue debate. They have learned that politics is about family and morality, about myth and metaphor and emotional identification. They have, over twenty-five years, managed to forge conceptual links in the voters’ minds between morality and public policy. They have done this by carefully working out their values, comprehending their myths, and designing a language to fit those values and myths so that they can evoke them with powerful slogans, repeated over and over again, that reinforce those family-morality-policy links, until the connections have come to seem natural to many Americans, including many in the media. As long as liberals ignore the moral, mythic, and emotional dimension of politics, as long as they stick to policy and interest groups and issue-by-issue debate, they will have no hope of understanding the nature of the political transformation that has overtaken this country and they will have no hope of changing it."

"Conservatives are largely against abortion, saying that they want to save the lives of unborn fetuses. The United States has an extremely high infant-mortality rate, largely due to the lack of adequate prenatal care for low-income mothers. Yet conservatives are not in favor of government programs providing such prenatal care and have voted to eliminate existing programs that have succeeded in lowering the infant mortality rate. Liberals find this illogical. It appears to liberals that “pro-life” conservatives do want to prevent the death of those fetuses whose mothers do not want them (through stopping abortion), but do not want to prevent the deaths of fetuses whose mothers do want them (through providing adequate prenatal care programs). Conservatives see no contradiction. Why ?

Liberals also find it illogical that right-to-life advocates are mostly in favor of capital punishment. This seems natural to conservatives. Why ?

Conservatives are opposed to welfare and to government funds for the needy but are in favor of government funds going to victims of floods, fires, and earthquakes who are in need. Why isn’t this contradictory ?

A liberal supporter of California’s 1994 single-payer initiative was speaking to a conservative audience and decided to appeal to their financial self-interest. He pointed out that the savings in administrative costs would get them the same health benefits for less money while also paying for health care for the indigent. A woman responded, “It just sounds wrong to me. I would be paying for somebody else.” Why did his appeal to her economic self-interest fail ?"

"Of course, most conservatives have just as little understanding of liberals. To conservatives, liberal positions seem outrageously immoral or just plain foolish. [...]

Liberals support welfare and education proposals to aid children, yet they sanction the murder of children by supporting the practice of abortion. Isn’t this contradictory ? [...]

How can liberals claim to help citizens achieve the American dream when they punish financial success through the progressive income tax ?

How can liberals claim to be helping people in need when they support social welfare programs that make people dependent on the government and limit their initiative ?

How can liberals claim to be for equality of opportunity, when they promote racial, ethnic, and sexual
    favoritism by supporting affirmative action?

To conservatives, liberals seem either immoral, perverse, misguided, irrational, or just plain dumb. Yet, from the perspective of the liberal worldview, what seems contradictory or immoral or stupid to conservatives seems to liberals to be natural, rational, and, above all, moral."

"Words don’t have meanings in isolation. Words are defined relative to a conceptual system. If liberals are to understand how conservatives use their words, they will have to understand the conservative conceptual system. When a conservative legislator says, in support of eliminating Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC), “It’s alright to have a soft heart, but you’ve gotta have a strong backbone,” one must ask exactly what that sentence means in that context, why that sentence constitutes an argument against continuing AFDC, and what exactly the argument is. In Dan Quayle’s acceptance speech to the Republican convention in 1992, he said, in a rhetorical question arguing against the graduated income tax, “Why should the best people be punished ?” To make sense of this, one must know why rich people are “the best people” and why the graduated income tax constitutes “punishment.” In other conservative discourse, progressive taxation is referred to as “theft” and “taking people’s money away from them.” Conservatives do not see the progressive income tax as “paying one’s fair share” or “civic duty” or even “noblesse oblige.” Is there anything besides greed that leads conservatives to one view of taxation over another ?

Here are some words and phrases used over and over in conservative discourse: character, virtue, discipline, tough it out, get tough, tough love, strong, self-reliance, individual responsibility, backbone, standards, authority, heritage, competition, earn, hard work, enterprise, property rights, reward, freedom, intrusion, interference, meddling, punishment, human nature, traditional, common sense, dependency, self-indulgent, elite, quotas, breakdown, corrupt, decay, rot, degenerate, deviant, lifestyle.

Why do conservatives use this constellation of words and phrases in arguing for political policies and exactly how do they use them ? Exactly what unifies this collection, what forms it into a single constellation ? A solution to the worldview problem must answer all these questions and more. It must explain why conservatives choose to talk about the topics they do, why they choose the words they do, why those words mean what they do to them, and how their reasoning makes sense to them. Every conservative speech or book or article is a challenge to any would-be description of the conservative worldview.

The same, of course, is true of the liberal worldview. Liberals, in their speeches and writings, choose different topics, different words, and different modes of inference than conservatives. Liberals talk about: social forces, social responsibility, free expression, human rights, equal rights, concern, care, help, health, safety, nutrition, basic human dignity, oppression, diversity, deprivation, alienation, big corporations, corporate welfare, ecology, ecosystem, biodiversity, pollution, and so on. Conservatives tend not to dwell on these topics, or to use these words as part of their normal political discourse. A description of the liberal and conservative worldviews should explain why.

As I mentioned above, conservatism and liberalism are not monolithic. There will not be a single conservative or liberal worldview to fit all conservatives or all liberals. Conservatism and liberalism are radial categories. They have, I believe, central models and variations on those models. I take as my goal the description of the central models and the descriptions of the major variations on those central models."

"Where conservatives are relatively aware of how their politics relates to their views of family life and morality, liberals are less aware of the implicit view of morality and the family that organizes their own political beliefs."

"At the center of the conservative worldview is a Strict Father model:

This model posits a traditional nuclear family, with the father having primary responsibility for supporting and protecting the family as well as the authority to set overall policy, to set strict rules for the behavior of children, and to enforce the rules. The mother has the day-to-day responsibility for the care of the house, raising the children, and upholding the father’s authority. Children must respect and obey their parents ; by doing so they build character, that is, self-discipline and self-reliance. Love and nurturance are, of course, a vital part of family life but can never outweigh parental authority, which is itself an expression of love and nurturance—tough love. Self-discipline, self-reliance, and respect for legitimate authority are the crucial things that children must learn.

Once children are mature, they are on their own and must depend on their acquired self-discipline to survive. Their self-reliance gives them authority over their own destinies, and parents are not to meddle in their lives.

The liberal worldview centers on a very different ideal of family life, the Nurturant Parent model:

Love, empathy, and nurturance are primary, and children become responsible, self-disciplined and self-reliant through being cared for, respected, and caring for others, both in their family and in their community. Support and protection are part of nurturance, and they require strength and courage on the part of parents. The obedience of children comes out of their love and respect for their parents and their community, not out of the fear of punishment. Good communication is crucial. If their authority is to be legitimate, parents must explain why their decisions serve the cause of protection and nurturance. Questioning by children is seen as positive, since children need to learn why their parents do what they do and since children often have good ideas that should be taken seriously. Ultimately, of course, responsible parents have to make the decisions, and that must be clear.

The principal goal of nurturance is for children to be fulfilled and happy in their lives. A fulfilling life is assumed to be, in significant part, a nurturant life—one committed to family and community responsibility. What children need to learn most is empathy for others, the capacity for nurturance, and the maintenance of social ties, which cannot be done without the strength, respect, self-discipline, and self-reliance that comes through being cared for. Raising a child to be fulfilled also requires helping that child develop his or her potential for achievement and enjoyment. That requires respecting the child’s own values and allowing the child to explore the range of ideas and options that the world offers.

When children are respected, nurtured, and communicated with from birth, they gradually enter into a lifetime relationship of mutual respect, communication, and caring with their parents.

Each model of the family induces a set of moral priorities. As we shall see below, these systems use the same moral principles but give them opposing priorities. The resulting moral systems, put together out of the same elements, but in different order, are radically opposed.

Strict Father morality assigns highest priorities to such things as moral strength (the self-control and self-discipline to stand up to external and internal evils), respect for and obedience to authority, the setting and following of strict guidelines and behavioral norms, and so on. Moral self-interest says that if everyone is free to pursue their self-interest, the overall self-interests of all will be maximized. In conservatism, the pursuit of self-interest is seen as a way of using self-discipline to achieve self-reliance.

Nurturant Parent morality has a different set of priorities. Moral nurturance requires empathy for others and the helping of those who need help. To help others, one must take care of oneself and nurture social ties. And one must be happy and fulfilled in oneself, or one will have little empathy for others. The moral pursuit of self-interest only makes sense within these priorities."

"What we have here are two different forms of family-based morality. What links them to politics is a common understanding of the nation as a family, with the government as parent. Thus, it is natural for liberals to see it as the function of the government to help people in need and hence to support social programs, while it is equally natural for conservatives to see the function of the government as requiring citizens to be self-disciplined and self-reliant and, therefore, to help themselves."
    -George Lakoff, Moral Politics : How Liberals and Conservatives Think, The University of Chicago Press, 2016 (1996 pour la première édition).

Dernière édition par Johnathan R. Razorback le Ven 3 Sep - 10:31, édité 1 fois

« Rien de grand ne s’est jamais accompli dans le monde sans passion. » -Hegel, La Raison dans l'Histoire.

« Mais parfois le plus clair regard aime aussi l’ombre. » -Friedrich Hölderlin, "Pain et Vin".

Johnathan R. Razorback
    Johnathan R. Razorback
    Admin

George Lakoff, Moral Politics. How Liberals and Conservatives Think Empty Re: George Lakoff, Moral Politics. How Liberals and Conservatives Think

Message par Johnathan R. Razorback Lun 9 Aoû - 12:40

"If you ask a liberal about his political worldview, he will almost certainly talk about liberty and equality, rather than about a nurturant parent model of the family. But as we will see, such directly political ideas do not meet our adequacy conditions; they do not explain why the various liberal stands fit together, nor do they answer the puzzles or account for topic choice, language choice, and modes of reason. Where just asking people fails, as it usually does, the cognitive scientist turns to model-building, as I have in this book. The idea is to construct a model of unconscious political worldviews that will meet those adequacy conditions as closely as possible."

"Because I will argue that political perspectives are derived from systems of moral concepts, we must consider what those concepts typically consist of and why we have the moral concepts we have.

An important conclusion of research in cognitive studies is that moral thinking is imaginative and that it depends fundamentally on metaphorical understanding (see References, A6; Johnson 1993). Before we proceed with our discussion of metaphors for morality, we should point out the obvious—that morality is not all metaphorical and that nonmetaphorical aspects of morality are what the system of metaphors for morality is based on. Nonmetaphorical morality is about the experience of well-being. The most fundamental form of morality concerns promoting the experiential well-being of others and the avoidance and prevention of experiential harm to others or the disruption of the well-being of others.

Here is part of what is meant by “well-being”: Other things being equal, you are better off if you are healthy rather than sick, rich rather than poor, strong rather than weak, free rather than imprisoned, cared for rather than uncared for, happy rather than sad, whole rather than lacking, clean rather than filthy, beautiful rather than ugly, if you are functioning in the light rather than the dark, if you can stand upright so that you don’t fall down, and if you live in a community with close social ties, rather than in a hostile or isolated one. These are among our basic experiential forms of well-being. Their opposites are forms of harm or lack of well-being: poverty, illness, sadness, weakness, imprisonment, and so on. Immoral action is action that causes harm or lack of well-being, that is, action that deprives someone of one or more of these—of health, wealth, happiness, strength, freedom, safety, beauty, and so on. In the case of young children, it is the job of parents to do their best to guarantee their well-being. On the whole, young children are better off if they are obedient rather than disobedient to their parents, who, in the normal case, have their best interests at heart, know how to keep them from being harmed, and exercise legitimate authority.

These are, of course, norms, and the qualification “other things being equal” is necessary, since one can think of special cases where these may not be true. A wealthy child may not get the necessary attention of its parents, someone beautiful may be the target of envy, one ordinarily needs to be in the dark in order to sleep, excessive freedom can sometimes be harmful, sadness and pain may be necessary to appreciate happiness, social ties that are too close can become oppressive, and parents may be abusive or neglectful or ignorant. But, on the whole, this account of experiential well-being holds.

It is these conditions that form the grounding for our system of moral metaphors. Since it is better to be rich than to be poor, morality is conceptualized in terms of wealth. Since it is better to be strong than to be weak, we expect to see morality conceptualized as strength. Because it is better to be healthy than sick, it is no surprise to see morality conceptualized in terms of health and attendant concepts like cleanliness and purity. Since it is better to be cared for than uncared for, it seems natural to find morality conceptualized as nurturance. And because, in normal cases, children tend to be better off if they obey rather than disobey their parents, we expect to see morality conceptualized as obedience.

What we learn from this is that metaphorical morality is grounded in nonmetaphorical morality, that is, in forms of well-being, and that the system of metaphors for morality as a whole is thus far from arbitrary. Because the same forms of well-being are widespread around the world, we expect many of the same metaphors for morality to show up in culture after culture—and they do. Where we find purification rituals, we find a manifestation of Morality as Purity. Because of the widespread fear of the dark, we find a widespread conception of Evil as Dark and Good as Light. Because it is better to walk upright than to fall down, we find the widespread metaphor of Morality as Uprightness. In short, because our notion of what constitutes well-being is widely shared, our pool of metaphors for morality is also widely shared.

Indeed, the commonality of shared metaphors for morality both within and across societies raises a deep question: What are the differences in moral systems and what is the source of those differences? As we shall see, different conceptions of the family constitute one such source of difference—at least within American culture."

"There is at least one class of metaphors for morality, however, that do not in themselves tell you exactly which actions are moral or immoral. They are in that sense metamoral. When combined with other metaphors, they generate moral conclusions about various kinds of behavior.

One of the most important metamoral concepts concerns how moral books are kept. It is this metaphor through which we understand concepts like justice, fairness, retribution, and revenge."

"The Moral Accounting Metaphor

We all conceptualize well-being as wealth. We understand an increase in well-being as a “gain” and a decrease of well-being as a “loss” or a “cost.” When we speak of the “costs” of a fire or an earthquake, we do not mean just the monetary cost but also the “cost” in human well-being—deaths, injuries, suffering, trauma. When we speak of “profiting” from an experience, we are speaking of the kinds of well-being we might “gain” from that experience—perhaps knowledge, enjoyment, sophistication, or confidence.

The metaphor by which we conceptualize well-being as wealth is a metaphor that is ubiquitous and important in our conceptual systems. Whenever we are not talking literally about money, and we ask whether a course of action is “worth it,” we are using this financial metaphor to treat the resulting well-being or harm as if they were money and to see if the course of action is sufficiently “profitable.” This economic metaphor allows us to use the ways that we think and talk about money to think and talk about well-being. Most important, it allows us to think about something qualitative (well-being) in terms of something quantitative (money), which in turn allows us to bring to bear our extensive forms of quantitative reasoning on something as elusive as well-being.

The metaphor of Weil-Being As Wealth can be combined with a very general metaphor for causal action in which causation is seen as object transfer—as the giving of an effect to an affected party, as in “The noise gave me a headache.” The conception Well-Being As Wealth allows us to see an effect that helps as a gain and one that harms as a loss. Under normal circumstances, moral action is seen as action intended to help (provide a gain) and immoral action as action intended to harm (provide a loss). By this conceptual mechanism, an action of moral import is conceptualized in terms of a financial transaction, with a moral interaction being metaphorically equivalent to a financial transaction, one in which the books are balanced. Just as literal bookkeeping is vital to economic functioning, so moral bookkeeping is vital to social functioning. And just as it is important that the financial books be balanced, so it is important that the moral books be balanced.

Of course, the source domain of the metaphor, the domain of financial transaction, itself has a morality: It is moral to pay your debts and immoral not to. When moral action is understood metaphorically in terms of financial transaction, financial morality is carried over to morality in general: There is a moral imperative not only to pay one’s financial debts but also one’s moral debts.

The Moral Accounting Schemes

The general metaphor of Moral Accounting is realized in a small number of basic moral schemes: reciprocation, retribution, restitution, revenge, altruism, and others. Each of these moral schemes is defined using the metaphor of Moral Accounting, but the schemes differ to how they use this metaphor, that is, they differ as to their inherent logics. Here are the basic schemes.

RECIPROCATION

"There is a fundamental economic metaphor behind much of morality, the ubiquitous conception of Well-Being As Wealth, which brings quantitative reasoning into the qualitative realm of morality. It is so fundamental a metaphor that it is rarely even noticed as being metaphoric. Linguistically, the metaphor is made manifest by the use of economic words like owe, debt, and pay in the moral domain. Logically, the metaphor shows itself in the use in the moral domain of such quantitative forms of reason as moral arithmetic, which is taken from accounting.

There are two distinct general uses of the Well-Being As Wealth metaphor, one concerning the results of interaction and the other the results of distribution. The former is the Moral Accounting metaphor, with special cases such as reciprocation, retribution, restitution, reward and punishment. The latter is Moral Action As Fair Distribution, with many versions of what is to count as fair distribution.

Such moral schemes are not usually thought of as metaphorical, because the Well-Being As Wealth metaphor is so commonplace in everyday life. The metaphorical nature of these moral schemes is revealed in the transfer of words and forms of reason from the quantitative financial domain to the qualitative moral domain. These forms of metaphorical thought and language are both conventional and normal. The use of metaphorical thought and language in moral reasoning and discourse in no way impugns the metaphorical moral schemes involved. It does, however, serve to remind us that these are commonplace products of the human mind, not principles built into the objective structure of the universe.

This example should serve to introduce the notion of conceptual metaphor, as it has come to be used in contemporary cognitive linguistics. A conceptual metaphor is a correspondence between concepts across conceptual domains, allowing forms of reasoning and words from one domain (in this case, the economic domain) to be used in the other (in this case, the moral domain). It is extremely common for such metaphors to be fixed in our conceptual systems, and thousands of such metaphors contribute to our everyday modes of thought. For the most part, we use them without effort or conscious awareness. Yet, as we shall see, they play an enormous role in characterizing our worldviews.

In the next two chapters, we examine two family-based moral systems: strict father morality and nurturant parent morality. The point of each chapter is to present a collection of metaphors of morality that are prioritized differently by each of those models of the family. The metaphors have been arrived at independently by looking at two kinds of evidence: (1) how the language of a nonmoral domain (e.g., the financial domain) is used to talk about the moral domain, and (2) how the forms of reason used in nonmoral domains (e.g., health, strength) are used to reason about the moral domain.

The two models of the family are common stereotypes within our culture and should be immediately recognizable. The claims made in these chapters are these: The metaphors for morality that are cited do exist in the conceptual systems of Americans. The models of the family described are common models of what family life should be. Each model of the family motivates giving priority to the metaphors cited over other metaphors for morality. The result is two different family-based moral systems. The different metaphors of morality in each system give rise to different forms of moral reasoning."

" [Chapitre 5 : Strict Father Morality]

"The Strict Father model takes as background the view that life is difficult and that the world is fundamentally dangerous. As Oliver North said repeatedly in his testimony to Congress, “The world is a dangerous place.” Survival is a major concern and there are dangers and evils lurking everywhere, especially in the human soul. [...]

"Though I have used the term “Strict Father” to name the model given, there are variants of the model that can be used by a strict mother as well. There are many mothers, especially tough single mothers, who function as strict fathers."

"The Strict Father model presupposes a folk theory of human nature that I will call “folk behaviorism”:

People, left to their own devices, tend simply to satisfy their desires. But, people will make themselves do things they don’t want to do in order to get rewards; they will refrain from doing things they do want to do in order to avoid punishment."

"There is also a pragmatic rationale for creating such people. It is that the world is difficult and people have to be self-disciplined to be able to survive in a difficult world. Rewards and punishments by the parent are thus moral because they help to ensure that the child will be able to survive on its own. Rewards and punishments thus benefit the child, which is why punishment for disobedience is understood as a form of love.

According to this model, if you are obedient, you will become self-disciplined, and only if you are self-disciplined can you succeed. Success is therefore a sign of having been obedient and having become self-disciplined. Success is a just reward for acting within this moral system. This makes success moral.

Competition is a crucial ingredient in such a moral system. It is through competition that we discover who is moral, that is, who has been properly self-disciplined and therefore deserves success, and who is fit enough to survive and even thrive in a difficult world."

"Even if survival were not an issue, even if the world could be made easier, even if there were a world of plenty with more than enough for everybody, it would still not be true that parceling out a comfortable amount for everyone would make the world better and people better. Doing that would remove the incentive to become and remain self-disciplined. Without the incentive of reward and punishment, self-discipline would disappear, and people would no longer be able to make plans, undertake commitments, and carry them out. All social life would come to a grinding halt. To prevent this, competition and authority must be maintained no matter how much material largesse we produce.

If competition is a necessary state in a moral world—necessary for producing the right kind of people —then what kind of a world is a moral world? It is necessarily one in which some people are better off than others, and they deserve to be. It is a meritocracy. It is hierarchical, and the hierarchy is moral. In this hierarchy, some people have authority over others and their authority is legitimate."

"The metaphor that is central to Strict Father morality is the metaphor of Moral Strength. This is a complex metaphor with a number of parts, beginning with:
    • Being Good Is Being Upright.
    • Being Bad Is Being Low.

Examples include sentences like:

He’s an upstanding citizen. He’s on the up and up. That was a low thing to do. He’s underhanded. He’s a snake in the grass.

Doing evil is therefore moving from a position of morality (uprightness) to a position of immorality (being low). Hence,
    • Doing Evil Is Falling.

The most famous example, of course, is the fall from grace.

A major part of the Moral Strength metaphor has to do with the conception of immorality, or evil. Evil is reified as a force, either internal or external, that can make you fall, that is, commit immoral acts.
    • Evil Is a Force (either internal or external).

Thus, to remain upright, one must be strong enough to “stand up to evil.” Hence, morality is conceptualized as strength, as having the moral fiber or backbone to resist evil.
    • Morality Is Strength.

But people are not simply born strong. Moral strength must be built. Just as in building physical strength, where self-discipline and self-denial (“no pain, no gain”) are crucial, so moral strength is also built through self-discipline and self-denial, in two ways:
    1. Through sufficient self-discipline to meet one’s responsibilities and face existing hardships;
    2. Actively through self-denial and further self-discipline.

To summarize, the metaphor of Moral Strength is a set of correspondences between the moral and physical domains:
    • Being Good Is Being Upright.
    • Being Bad Is Being Low.
    • Doing Evil Is Falling.
    • Evil Is a Force (either internal or external).
    • Morality Is Strength.

One consequence of this metaphor is that punishment can be good for you, since going through hardships builds moral strength. Hence, the homily “Spare the rod and spoil the child.” By the logic of this metaphor, moral weakness is in itself a form of immorality. The reasoning goes like this: A morally weak person is likely to fall, to give in to evil, to perform immoral acts, and thus to become part of the forces of evil. Moral weakness is thus nascent immorality, immorality waiting to happen. There are two forms of moral strength, depending on whether the evil to be faced is external or internal. Courage is the strength to stand up to external evils and to overcome fear and hardship. Much of the metaphor of Moral Strength is concerned with internal evils, cases where the issue of self-control arises. What has to be strengthened is one’s will. One must develop will power in order to
    exercise control over the body, which is seen as the seat of passion and desire. Desires—typically for money, sex, food, comfort, glory, and things other people have—are seen in this metaphor as “temptations,” evils that threaten to overcome one’s self-control. Anger is seen as another internal evil to be overcome, since it too is a threat to self-control. The opposite of self-control is “self-indulgence,” a concept that makes sense only if one accepts the metaphor of moral strength. Self-indulgence is seen in this metaphor as a vice, while frugality and self-denial are virtues. The list of the seven deadly sins is a catalogue of internal evils to be overcome: greed, lust, gluttony, sloth, pride, envy, and anger. It is the
    metaphor of Moral Strength that makes them sinful."

"We all start out morally weak, that is, with an overwhelming tendency to do immoral things. Unless our parents intervene to discipline us, we will naturally become immoral."

"Within the Strict Father model, the parent (typically the father) sets standards of behavior and punishes the child if the standards are not met. Moral behavior by the child is obedience to the parent’s authority.

But just as importantly, the exertion of authority is moral behavior on the part of the parent, and it is immoral for the parent to fail to exert authority, that is, to fail to set standards of behavior and to enforce them through punishment. The reason for this is the belief that punishing disobedient children will deter disobedience; that is, it will make children behave morally.

In short, good parents set standards, good children obey their parents, disobedient children are bad children, good parents punish disobedient children, punishment makes disobedient (bad) children into obedient (good) children, and parents who don’t punish are bad parents because they produce bad children by not punishing them when they disobey.

In general, the concept of moral authority within communities is patterned on parental authority within families. The general metaphor looks like the following:
    • A Community Is a Family.
    • Moral Authority Is Parental Authority.
    • An Authority Figure Is a Parent.
    • A Person Subject to Moral Authority Is a Child.
    • Moral Behavior by Someone Subject to Authority Is Obedience.
    • Moral Behavior by Someone in Authority Is Setting Standards and Enforcing Them.

This metaphor takes the special case of parental authority and generalizes it to all moral authority. Metaphors like this that characterize a general case in terms of a special case are called “Generic-Is-Specific” metaphors."

"Strict Father morality is sometimes mistakenly called “traditional morality,” and it is important to understand that aspects of it are not traditional at all but recent innovations, especially the idea that mature children are on their own and parents are not to meddle."

"Strict Father morality requires retribution rather than restitution for harming someone or for violations of moral authority. One would expect those who have Strict Father morality to favor the death penalty. They choose balancing the moral books (a death for a death) over preserving life for its own sake. One would expect advocates of Strict Father morality to want prison sentences to be harsher and prison life meaner. One would also expect them to believe, in accord with Moral Authority, that strict punishment of criminal offenders will deter crime.

[...] The metaphor of Moral Order fits naturally with the metaphor of Moral Authority, as well as with the literal parental authority central to the Strict Father family. This metaphor is based on a folk theory of the natural order: The natural order is the order of dominance that occurs in the world. Examples of the natural order are as follows:
    God is naturally more powerful than people.
    People are naturally more powerful than animals and plants and natural objects.
    Adults are naturally more powerful than children.
    Men are naturally more powerful than women.

The metaphor of Moral Order sees this natural hierarchy of power as moral. The metaphor can be stated simply as:
    • The Moral Order Is the Natural Order.

This metaphor transforms the folk hierarchy of “natural” power relations into a hierarchy of moral authority:
    God has moral authority over people.
    People have moral authority over nature (animals, plants, and natural objects).
    Adults have moral authority over children.
    Men have moral authority over women."

"Strict Father morality, with its sharp division between good and evil and its need for the setting of strict standards of behavior, naturally gives priority to the metaphor of Moral Boundaries.

It is common to conceptualize action as a form of self-propelled motion and purposes as destinations that we are trying to reach. Moral action is seen as bounded movement, movement in permissible areas and along permissible paths. Given this, immoral action is seen as motion outside of the permissible range, as straying from a prescribed path or transgressing prescribed boundaries. To characterize morally permissible actions is to lay out paths and areas where one can move freely. To characterize immoral action is to limit one’s range of movement. In this metaphor, immoral behavior is “deviant” behavior, a form of metaphorical motion into unsanctioned areas, along unsanctioned paths, and toward unsanctioned destinations.

Because human purposes are conceptualized in terms of destinations, this metaphor has considerable consequences. Since action is self-propelled motion in this metaphor, and such motion is always under the control of whoever is moving, it follows that any destination is a freely chosen destination and that the destinations chosen by others have been rejected. Someone who moves off of sanctioned paths or out of sanctioned territory is doing more than merely acting immorally. He is rejecting the purposes, the goals, the very mode of life of the society he is in. In doing so, he is calling into question the purposes that govern most people’s everyday lives. Such “deviation” from social norms goes beyond mere immorality. Actions characterized metaphorically as “deviant” threaten the very identity of normal people, calling their most common and therefore most sacred values into question.

But “deviant” actions are even more threatening than that. Part of the logic of this metaphor has to do with the effect of deviant behavior on other people. Metaphorically, someone who deviates from a tried and true path is creating a new path that others will feel safe to travel on. Hence, those who transgress boundaries or deviate from a prescribed path may “lead others astray” by going off in a new direction and creating a new path.

The Moral Boundaries metaphor thus interacts powerfully with one of the most important metaphors in our conceptual system: Life Is a Journey. Choosing a particular path, a “direction” in your life, can affect the whole rest of your life. Imagine a parent who says, “Our son left the church; I can’t understand why he turned his back on our way of life like that.” The paths you choose can be life paths, and if morality is seen as going along a particular path, then deviating from that path can be seen as entering an immoral way of life. It is for this reason that the very idea of “deviance” is so powerful. In creating new paths, the “deviant” can make those paths appear safe to others and thus lead them to change their lives.

Thus, the actions of people who are “deviant” have effects far beyond themselves. Their acts call into question traditional moral values and traditional ways of leading a moral life, and they may make the “deviant” way seem safe, normal, and attractive. If someone smokes marijuana, has no ill effects, and leads a happier, less stressed life, then he has forged a path that others who know him will feel safe going on. If a young woman has sex out of wedlock, has no ill effects, and goes on to have a happy life, then those who know her may feel safe taking such a path.

People who “deviate” from the tried and true path arouse enormous anger because they threaten the identities of those who follow traditional “straight and narrow” moral paths, but also because they are seen as threats to the community. For the protection of the community, they need to be isolated and made outcasts."
    -George Lakoff, Moral Politics : How Liberals and Conservatives Think, The University of Chicago Press, 2016 (1996 pour la première édition).

Dernière édition par Johnathan R. Razorback le Ven 24 Juin - 18:00, édité 13 fois

« Rien de grand ne s’est jamais accompli dans le monde sans passion. » -Hegel, La Raison dans l'Histoire.

« Mais parfois le plus clair regard aime aussi l’ombre. » -Friedrich Hölderlin, "Pain et Vin".

Johnathan R. Razorback
    Johnathan R. Razorback
    Admin

George Lakoff, Moral Politics. How Liberals and Conservatives Think Empty Re: George Lakoff, Moral Politics. How Liberals and Conservatives Think

Message par Johnathan R. Razorback Lun 9 Aoû - 12:41

"Les conservateurs et les progressistes soutiennent généralement des politiques opposées parce qu'ils ont des visions morales opposées -des notions opposées du bien et du mal. Les visions morales du monde sont importantes pour les gens, elles font partie de leur identité propre. Les gens ont tendance à se considérer comme bons et moraux, sans tenir compte du fait qu'il pourrait y avoir une vision opposée de ce qui est moral."

"Dans les dix-neuf premiers chapitres de ce livre, j'agirai en tant que spécialiste des sciences cognitives. Je vais fournir, au mieux de mes capacités, une analyse cognitive des visions morales et politiques du monde des conservateurs et des progressistes dans l'Amérique contemporaine, une analyse qui, je l'espère, sera indépendante de tout préjugé politique.

Mais je ne peux pas cacher mes propres opinions morales et politiques et je ne vais pas essayer de le faire. Dans les derniers chapitres du livre, je donnerai quelques raisons pour lesquelles je suis un progressiste, des raisons fondées non pas sur l'idéologie progressiste elle-même, mais sur des considérations extérieures.

Je considère que ce livre est tout sauf un exercice académique futile. Parce que les conservateurs comprennent mieux que les progressistes la dimension morale de la politique, ils ont été capables non seulement de remporter des victoires politiques, mais aussi d'utiliser la politique au service d'un programme moral et culturel beaucoup plus vaste pour l'Amérique, un programme qui, s'il était mis en œuvre, détruirait, je crois, une grande partie des progrès moraux réalisés au XXe siècle. Les progressistes ont été impuissants à les arrêter, en grande partie, je pense, parce qu'ils ne comprennent pas la vision conservatrice du monde et le rôle de l'idéalisme moral et de la famille en son sein.

De plus, les progressistes ne comprennent pas pleinement l'unité morale de leur propre politique et le rôle que la famille y joue. Les progressistes doivent comprendre qu'il existe une politique progressiste globale et cohérente qui repose sur une morale progressiste cohérente, bien fondée et puissante. Si les progressistes ne se préoccupent pas très sérieusement et très rapidement de l'unité de leur propre philosophie, de la moralité et de la famille, non seulement ils continueront à perdre des élections, mais ils porteront également la responsabilité du succès des conservateurs à faire reculer l'horloge du progrès en Amérique.

Les conservateurs savent que la politique ne se résume pas à la politique, aux groupes d'intérêt et aux débats sur chaque question. Ils ont appris que la politique concerne la famille et la moralité, le mythe, la métaphore et l'identification émotionnelle. Pendant vingt-cinq ans, ils ont réussi à forger des liens conceptuels dans l'esprit des électeurs entre la moralité et la politique publique. Ils y sont parvenus en élaborant soigneusement leurs valeurs, en comprenant leurs mythes et en concevant un langage adapté à ces valeurs et à ces mythes afin de pouvoir les évoquer avec des slogans puissants, répétés à l'envi, qui renforcent ces liens entre famille, moralité et politique, jusqu'à ce que ces liens paraissent naturels à de nombreux Américains, y compris dans les médias. Tant que les progressistes ignoreront la dimension morale, mythique et émotionnelle de la politique, tant qu'ils s'en tiendront à la politique et aux groupes d'intérêt et au débat question par question, ils n'auront aucun espoir de comprendre la nature de la transformation politique qui a envahi ce pays et ils n'auront aucun espoir de la changer."

"Seule une infime partie de notre pensée est consciente. Une estimation typique est d'environ 2 pour cent, avec environ 98 pour cent de la pensée inconsciente.

Les visions morales du monde, comme la plupart des manières profondes de comprendre le monde, sont généralement inconscientes. Plus un "circuit d'idées" neuronal est utilisé, plus il se renforce -et peut finalement devenir permanent, effectivement "câblé". Par conséquent, la plupart de ce dont nous allons parler dans ce livre se produit au niveau neuronal et est susceptible d'être inconscient."

"Les visions morales du monde profondes et persistantes ont tendance à faire partie des circuits de votre cerveau et à devenir une partie de votre identité. Dans la plupart des cas, le câblage neuronal -et votre identité- restent, et les faits sont ignorés, rejetés, ridiculisés ou attaqués. Il faut être extraordinairement ouvert, entraîné et conscient de ce phénomène pour prêter une attention critique au grand nombre de faits qui nous sont présentés chaque jour. Peu de membres du grand public -ou de ceux qui travaillent dans la politique ou les médias- correspondent à ce profil."

"Je travaille dans une discipline qui étudie comment les gens conceptualisent le monde. Il s'agit de la science cognitive, qui est l'étude interdisciplinaire de l'esprit. C'est une vaste discipline, qui couvre tout, de la vision, la mémoire et l'attention jusqu'au raisonnement quotidien et au langage. Le sous-domaine le plus concerné par les questions de vision du monde, c'est-à-dire par la conceptualisation, le raisonnement et le langage au quotidien, est la linguistique cognitive. J'ai été linguiste cognitif pratiquement dès la naissance de ce domaine, et c'est ma profession d'étudier comment nous conceptualisons notre vie quotidienne et comment nous y pensons et en parlons. L'étude des concepts et des discours politiques fait partie de la description de poste des personnes de mon domaine, bien que jusqu'à présent, les recherches dans ce domaine aient été relativement rares."

"L'un des résultats les plus fondamentaux des sciences cognitives, issu de l'étude du raisonnement ordinaire, est que la plupart de nos pensées sont inconscientes -pas inconscientes au sens freudien de refoulement, mais inconscientes simplement en ce sens que nous n'en sommes pas conscients. Nous pensons et parlons à un rythme trop rapide et à un niveau trop profond pour avoir une conscience et un contrôle conscients de tout ce que nous pensons et disons. Nous sommes encore moins conscients des composantes des pensées-concepts. Lorsque nous pensons, nous utilisons un système élaboré de concepts, mais nous ne sommes généralement pas conscients de la nature de ces concepts et de la manière dont ils s'intègrent dans un système.

C'est ce que j'étudie : ce qu'est, exactement, notre système inconscient de concepts et comment nous pensons et parlons en utilisant ce système de concepts. Ces dernières années, mon travail s'est concentré sur deux composantes des systèmes conceptuels : les métaphores conceptuelles et les catégories, en particulier les catégories radiales et les prototypes. Une métaphore conceptuelle est une façon conventionnelle de conceptualiser un domaine d'expérience en termes d'un autre, souvent inconsciemment. Par exemple, beaucoup de gens ne savent pas que nous conceptualisons couramment la moralité en termes de transactions financières et de comptabilité. Si vous me rendez un grand service, j'aurai une dette envers vous, je vous serai redevable et je serai soucieux de rembourser cette faveur. Non seulement nous parlons de la moralité en termes de paiement de dettes, mais nous pensons aussi à la moralité de cette manière. Des concepts tels que la rétribution, la restitution, la vengeance et la justice sont généralement compris en termes financiers. Comme nous le verrons, ces exemples ne sont que la partie émergée de l'iceberg. Une grande partie du raisonnement moral est un raisonnement métaphorique, comme nous le verrons plus loin. Il devrait également devenir évident, si cet exemple ne le montre pas déjà, que la pensée métaphorique n'a pas besoin d'être poétique ou particulièrement rhétorique. C'est une pensée normale, quotidienne. Tous les concepts courants ne sont pas métaphoriques, mais un nombre surprenant le sont."

"Une grande partie de ce que nous lisons dans les pages d'opinion quotidiennes de nos meilleurs journaux est un raisonnement métaphorique ordinaire. Prenons un exemple très simple, tiré d'une chronique du journaliste du Washington Post, William Raspberry (telle qu'elle est parue dans le Houston Chronicle, section A, p. 30, le 4 février 1995). L'article commence de manière assez simple :

Le gouvernement du district de Columbia souffre d'un déficit budgétaire d'au moins 722 millions de dollars et on parle de plus en plus d'une prise de contrôle de la ville par le Congrès.

Après un exemple de dépenses qu'il juge douteuses, Raspberry dit :

Ce qui est sur le point de nous faire plonger... c'est la mère pauvre mais compatissante avec une carte de crédit. En d'autres termes, une grande partie de l'énorme dette de la ville est le résultat de l'effort du gouvernement local pour faire de bonnes choses qu'il ne peut se permettre.

Il donne ensuite une liste d'exemples de bonnes choses que le gouvernement de la ville veut faire et qu'il pense ne pas pouvoir se permettre, et termine la chronique comme suit :

Mais une bonne partie du problème sous-jacent est l'attitude de la mère compatissante qui dit : si c'est bon pour l'enfant, alors je dois l'acheter et me préoccuper plus tard de savoir d'où viendra l'argent.
    Eh bien, non seulement maman a atteint sa limite de crédit, mais elle a tellement de problèmes qu'économiser maintenant ne résoudra pas le problème. Elle aura besoin d'un renflouement du Congrès. Mais alors, elle doit apprendre à dire non, non seulement à la malbouffe, mais aussi aux morceaux de viande de qualité qu'elle ne peut pas se permettre.

Aucun des lecteurs de Raspberry n'a de difficulté à comprendre cette chronique. Il l'écrit comme s'il s'agissait de simple bon sens. Pourtant, il s'agit d'une métaphore conceptuelle élaborée, et il raisonne dans les termes de cette métaphore.

Dans cette métaphore, le gouvernement est une mère trop complaisante et peu réaliste et les citoyens sont ses enfants. Elle n'a aucune autodiscipline ; elle s'occupe de ses enfants de manière irresponsable, en utilisant de l'argent qu'elle n'a pas. Il ne s'agit pas simplement de politique, mais d'une histoire avec une morale. La morale, c'est que maman devra apprendre l'autodiscipline ("dire non") et l'abnégation ("des morceaux de viande de qualité qu'elle ne peut pas se permettre"). Ce n'est qu'à ce moment-là qu'elle sera une bonne mère.

Nous comprenons tous cette chronique, et pour de nombreux lecteurs, elle semblera relever du bon sens. Mais pourquoi ? La métaphore selon laquelle le gouvernement est un parent et les citoyens sont des enfants est-elle nouvelle ? Ou est-ce une métaphore familière, que nous connaissons déjà ? Et pourquoi les lecteurs devraient-ils accepter de raisonner de cette manière à propos d'un gouvernement ? Pourquoi ne rejettent-ils pas tout simplement la métaphore comme étant ridicule ? Pourquoi les lecteurs -tous les lecteurs- ne réagissent-ils pas en disant : "Qu'est-ce que c'est que cette histoire de mères complaisantes ? Soyons réalistes et parlons des détails de l'économie et de la politique." Mais les lecteurs ne le font pas. La chronique est "juste du bon sens". Et en plus, c'est du bon sens conservateur.

La structure logique de la chronique est déterminée par la métaphore, pas par les faits. On aurait pu prendre le même déficit budgétaire et le formuler d'une manière différente. On aurait pu faire remarquer que Washington, D.C., doit disposer de services urbains au-delà de sa population pour servir le grand nombre de fonctionnaires, de lobbyistes et d'autres personnes relativement aisées qui vivent dans les banlieues riches mais travaillent en ville. On aurait pu également mentionner qu'il est de la responsabilité du Congrès de veiller à ce que la ville soit entretenue correctement et qu'elle vive selon des normes humaines, et qu'elle devrait même servir de modèle pour le pays. On pourrait alors appliquer la métaphore du gouvernement en tant que parent au Congrès, en voyant le Congrès comme un père mauvais payeur, refusant de payer pour l'entretien de ses enfants, les citoyens de Washington, D.C. On pourrait alors en tirer la morale que le père mauvais payeur du Congrès doit assumer ses responsabilités et payer, même si c'est difficile pour lui. Ce n'est que du bon sens - un autre type de bon sens. Qu'est-ce, exactement, que le bon sens conservateur ? En quoi diffère-t-il du bon sens progressiste ? Et quel rôle, exactement, la pensée métaphorique joue-t-elle dans le raisonnement de bon sens quotidien des conservateurs et des progressistes ? Comme nous le verrons, la métaphore utilisée dans cette chronique, celle du gouvernement en tant que parent, a beaucoup à voir avec le bon sens conservateur en général, ainsi qu'avec ce qu'est le conservatisme en tant que philosophie politique et morale."

"Les catégories radiales sont les plus communes des catégories conceptuelles humaines. Elles ne sont pas définissables en termes d'une liste de propriétés partagées par chaque membre de la catégorie. Au lieu de cela, elles sont caractérisées par des variations sur un modèle central. Prenons la catégorie mère. Le modèle central est caractérisé par quatre sous-modèles. (1) Le modèle de naissance : la mère est celle qui donne naissance. (2) Le modèle génétique : la mère est la femme de qui vous obtenez la moitié de vos traits génétiques. (3) Le modèle de la nourricerie : votre mère est la personne qui vous élève et vous nourrit. Et (4) Le modèle du mariage : votre mère est la femme de votre père. Dans le cas le plus élémentaire, toutes les conditions sont réunies. Mais la vie moderne est complexe, et la catégorie s'étend aux cas où seules certaines de ces conditions sont remplies. C'est pourquoi il existe des termes spéciaux comme mère biologique, mère génétique, mère nourricière, belle-mère, mère porteuse, mère adoptive, etc.

Un autre exemple de catégorie radiale est celui des formes de préjudice. Le cas central est le préjudice physique. Mais la catégorie comprend également des types de préjudice qui sont métaphoriquement compris en termes de préjudice physique, par exemple, le préjudice financier, le préjudice politique, le préjudice social et le préjudice psychologique. Nos tribunaux reconnaissent qu'il s'agit diverses formes de préjudice, mais ils reconnaissent également le caractère central du préjudice physique, pour lequel les sanctions les plus sévères sont généralement réservées.

Les catégories radiales, avec des cas centraux et des variations sur ceux-ci, sont normales dans l'esprit humain. Et, comme nous allons le voir, les catégories de conservateurs et de progressistes sont également des catégories radiales. Il est important de s'en rendre compte car le conservateur et le progressiste sont des catégories très complexes, avec de très nombreuses variations. La théorie des catégories radiales nous permet de rendre compte à la fois des tendances centrales et des variations."

"Les membres centraux des catégories radiales sont un sous-type d'un phénomène général appelé "prototypes" [...] Il existe de nombreux types de prototypes et il est important d'en parler dès le départ car ils joueront un rôle majeur tout au long du livre. Un prototype est un élément d'une catégorie (soit une sous-catégorie, soit un membre individuel) qui est utilisé pour représenter la catégorie dans son ensemble dans une sorte de raisonnement. Tous les prototypes sont des constructions cognitives utilisées pour effectuer un certain type de raisonnement ; ils ne sont pas des caractéristiques objectives du monde.

Voici quelques-uns des types de prototypes de base qui jouent un rôle dans la politique américaine et qui reviendront tout au long de ce livre :

1. La sous-catégorie centrale d'une catégorie radiale : Elle fournit la base pour étendre la catégorie de nouvelles façons et pour définir des variations. Les exemples politiques comprendront les types centraux de progressistes et de conservateurs.

2. Un prototype de cas typique : Il caractérise les cas typiques et est utilisé pour tirer des conclusions sur les membres de la catégorie dans leur ensemble, à moins qu'il ne soit clairement établi que nous travaillons avec un cas non typique.
    Par exemple, les oiseaux que nous considérons comme typiques volent, chantent, ne sont pas des prédateurs et ont la taille d'un merle ou d'un moineau. Si je dis "Il y a un oiseau sur le porche", vous en conclurez qu'il s'agit d'un prototype de cas typique, sauf indication contraire de ma part. Si je parle d'un Américain typique, ce qui vient à l'esprit de beaucoup est un homme blanc adulte protestant, qui est né dans le pays, qui parle l'anglais naturellement, et ainsi de suite.

3. Un prototype de cas idéal : Il définit une norme par rapport à laquelle les autres sous-catégories sont mesurées.
    Nous allons discuter de ce que les conservateurs et les progressistes considèrent comme un parent idéal, un citoyen idéal et une personne idéale.

4. Un prototype anti-idéal : Cette sous-catégorie illustre le pire type de sous-catégorie, une sous-catégorie "démoniaque". Elle définit une norme négative.
    Les progressistes et les conservateurs ont des types de démons très différents, et nous discuterons de ces types et de la façon dont ils sont utilisés dans le raisonnement.

5. Un stéréotype social : Il s'agit d'un modèle, très répandu dans une culture, permettant de porter des jugements rapides -des jugements sans réflexion- sur une catégorie entière, en suggérant que le stéréotype est le cas typique.
    Les stéréotypes sociaux sont couramment utilisés dans les discours non réfléchis ou biaisés. Par exemple, l'Irlandais ivre (utilisé pour suggérer que les Irlandais boivent généralement de façon excessive), le Japonais industrieux (utilisé pour suggérer que les Japonais sont généralement industrieux), etc. Les stéréotypes ethniques et de genre entrent constamment dans le discours politique, tout comme les stéréotypes politiques. Les stéréotypes peuvent être basés sur un mythe ou sur des exemples individuels bien connus.

6. Un exemple marquant : Un exemple unique et mémorable qui est couramment utilisé pour effectuer des jugements de probabilité ou pour tirer des conclusions sur ce qui est typique des membres d'une catégorie.
    Il est courant dans le discours politique d'utiliser un exemple marquant comme s'il s'agissait d'un cas typique ; par exemple, en popularisant le cas d'un seul fraudeur à l'aide sociale pour suggérer que tous les bénéficiaires de l'aide sociale trichent.

7. Un prototype essentiel : Il s'agit d'une collection hypothétique de propriétés qui, selon une théorie populaire banale, caractérise ce qui fait d'une chose le genre de chose qu'elle est, ou ce qui fait d'une personne le genre de personne qu'elle est.
    Les propriétés essentielles des oiseaux sont, entre autres, qu'ils ont des plumes, des ailes et un bec, et qu'ils pondent des œufs. La pensée rationnelle est considérée comme une propriété essentielle des êtres humains. Dans le discours moral, la notion de caractère est considérée comme définie par un prototype essentiel. Votre caractère est ce qui fait de vous ce que vous êtes et détermine la façon dont vous allez vous comporter.

Aucun de ces éléments ne devrait être étrange ou inhabituel. Ce sont tous des produits normaux de l'esprit humain, et ils sont utilisés dans le discours quotidien normal. Il n'y a rien d'étonnant à ce qu'ils soient utilisés en politique, mais nous devons être conscients de la manière dont ils sont utilisés. Il est important, comme nous le verrons, de ne pas confondre un exemple saillant avec un cas typique, ou un cas typique (disons l'homme politique typique) avec un cas idéal (comme l'homme politique idéal)."

"J'ai découvert qu'en utilisant des techniques analytiques issues de la linguistique cognitive, je pouvais décrire les systèmes moraux des conservateurs et des progressistes de manière très détaillée et dresser la liste des métaphores morales que les conservateurs et les progressistes semblaient préférer. Ce qui était particulièrement intéressant, c'est qu'ils semblaient utiliser pratiquement les mêmes métaphores de la moralité, mais avec des priorités différentes -presque opposées. Cela semblait expliquer pourquoi les progressistes et les conservateurs semblaient parler de la même chose tout en parvenant à des conclusions opposées- et pourquoi ils semblaient se parler sans se comprendre la plupart du temps.

À ce stade, je me suis posé une question dont la réponse n'était pas évidente au premier abord : qu'est-ce qui unifie chacune des listes de priorités morales ? Y a-t-il une idée plus générale qui conduit les conservateurs à choisir une série de priorités métaphoriques pour raisonner sur la moralité, et les progressistes une autre ? Une fois la question posée, la réponse est venue rapidement. Il s'agissait de ce dont les conservateurs ne cessaient de parler : la famille. Des modèles différents de la famille sont profondément ancrés dans les politiques conservatrices et progressistes. Le conservatisme, comme nous le verrons, est basé sur un modèle de père sévère, tandis que le progressisme est centré sur un modèle de parent bienveillant. Ces deux modèles de la famille donnent lieu à des systèmes moraux différents et à des formes de discours différentes, c'est-à-dire à des choix de mots différents et à des modes de raisonnement différents."

"Prenons l'exemple du conservatisme. Qu'est-ce que l'opposition à l'avortement a à voir avec l'opposition à l'environnementalisme ? Qu'est-ce que l'une ou l'autre a à voir avec l'opposition à la discrimination positive, au contrôle des armes à feu ou au salaire minimum ? Un modèle de l'esprit conservateur devrait répondre à ces questions, tout comme un modèle de l'esprit progressiste devrait expliquer pourquoi les progressistes ont tendance à avoir un ensemble de positions politiques opposées. [...]

Les conservateurs affirment que les filets de sécurité sociale sont immoraux car ils vont à l'encontre de l'autodiscipline et de la responsabilité. Les progressistes affirment que les réductions d'impôts pour les riches sont immorales parce qu'elles aident les personnes qui n'ont pas besoin d'aide et n'aident pas celles qui en ont besoin. Quels sont les systèmes moraux qui conduisent chacun d'entre eux à avancer ces arguments et à rejeter les arguments de l'autre ? Pourquoi les conservateurs aiment-ils parler de discipline et de dureté, alors que les progressistes aiment parler de besoin et d'aide ? Pourquoi les progressistes aiment-ils parler de causes sociales, alors que les conservateurs ne le font pas ?

Je soutiendrai que les réponses proviennent des différences dans leurs modèles de la famille et de la moralité familiale -de la distinction entre ce que j'appellerai le modèle du père autoritaire et celui du parent bienveillant. Le lien entre la morale familiale et la politique provient de l'une des façons les plus courantes de conceptualiser ce qu'est une nation, à savoir une famille. C'est la métaphore commune, inconsciente et automatique de la nation en tant que famille qui produit le conservatisme contemporain à partir de la morale du père autoritaire et le progressisme contemporain à partir de la morale du parent bienveillant."

"Parce que les gens n'utilisent pas les mêmes modèles dans tous les aspects de leur vie, un conservateur politique pourrait très bien utiliser le modèle du parent bienveillant dans sa vie familiale mais pas dans sa vie politique, tout comme un progressiste politique pourrait utiliser la morale du père autoritaire dans sa vie familiale mais le modèle du parent bienveillant dans sa vie politique. [...]

La politique conservatrice contemporaine tente de lier plus étroitement l'utilisation familiale et l'utilisation politique des modèles ; de souligner que les conservateurs ont le modèle familial du père sévère et de convaincre les autres ayant le modèle du père sévère qu'ils devraient être des conservateurs politiques. Je soupçonne qu'ils réussissent à convaincre les personnes qui croient et s'identifient au modèle du père autoritaire de voter conservateur. Par exemple, les travailleurs en cols bleus qui, auparavant, votaient peut-être avec la gauche en raison de leur affiliation syndicale ou de leurs intérêts économiques, peuvent maintenant, pour des raisons culturelles, s'identifier aux conservateurs et voter pour eux, même s'il n'est pas forcément dans leur intérêt économique de le faire."

"Les conservateurs sont largement opposés à l'avortement, affirmant vouloir sauver la vie des fœtus à naître. Les États-Unis ont un taux de mortalité infantile extrêmement élevé, dû en grande partie à l'absence de soins prénataux adéquats pour les mères à faibles revenus. Pourtant, les conservateurs ne sont pas favorables aux programmes gouvernementaux fournissant de tels soins prénataux et ont voté pour éliminer les programmes existants qui ont réussi à réduire le taux de mortalité infantile. Les personnes de gauche trouvent cela illogique. Il leur semble que les conservateurs "pro-vie" veulent empêcher la mort des fœtus dont les mères ne veulent pas (en mettant fin à l'avortement), mais ne veulent pas empêcher la mort des fœtus dont les mères souhaitent qu'ils vivent  (en fournissant des programmes de soins prénataux adéquats). Les conservateurs ne voient aucune contradiction. Pourquoi ?

Les progressistes trouvent également illogique que les défenseurs du droit à la vie soient majoritairement favorables à la peine capitale. Cela semble naturel aux conservateurs. Pourquoi ?

Les conservateurs sont opposés à l'aide sociale et aux fonds publics destinés aux nécessiteux, mais ils sont favorables aux fonds publics destinés aux victimes d'inondations, d'incendies et de tremblements de terre [...] Pourquoi n'est-ce pas contradictoire ?

Un homme de gauche partisan de l'initiative californienne de 1994 en faveur d'un système à payeur unique s'adressait à un public conservateur et a décidé de faire appel à leur intérêt financier. Il a fait remarquer que les économies réalisées sur les coûts administratifs leur permettraient d'obtenir les mêmes prestations de santé pour moins d'argent tout en finançant les soins de santé pour les indigents. Une femme a répondu : "Cela ne me semble pas correct. Je serais en train de payer pour quelqu'un d'autre". Pourquoi son appel à l'intérêt économique personnel a-t-il échoué ?"

"Bien sûr, la plupart des conservateurs ont tout aussi peu de compréhension des opinions de gauche. Pour les conservateurs, les positions progressistes semblent outrageusement immorales ou tout simplement stupides. [...]

Les progressistes soutiennent les propositions d'aide sociale et d'éducation pour aider les enfants, mais ils approuvent le meurtre d'enfants en acceptant la pratique de l'avortement. N'est-ce pas contradictoire ? [...]

Comment les progressistes peuvent-ils prétendre aider les citoyens à réaliser le rêve américain alors qu'ils punissent la réussite financière par le biais de l'impôt progressif sur le revenu ?

Comment les progressistes peuvent-ils prétendre aider les personnes dans le besoin alors qu'ils soutiennent des programmes d'aide sociale qui rendent les gens dépendants du gouvernement et limitent leur initiative ?

Comment les progressistes peuvent-ils prétendre être pour l'égalité des chances, alors qu'ils encouragent le favoritisme racial, ethnique et sexuel en soutenant la discrimination positive ?

Pour les conservateurs, les progressistes semblent soit immoraux, pervers, malavisés, irrationnels, soit tout simplement stupides. Pourtant, du point de vue de la vision progressiste du monde, ce qui semble contradictoire, immoral ou stupide aux conservateurs semble naturel, rationnel et, surtout, moral."

"Les mots n'ont pas de signification hors contexte. Les mots sont définis par rapport à un système conceptuel. Si les progressistes veulent comprendre comment les conservateurs utilisent leurs mots, ils doivent comprendre le système conceptuel conservateur. Lorsqu'un législateur conservateur déclare, en faveur de l'élimination de l'aide aux familles ayant des enfants à charge (AFDC), "C'est bien d'avoir un cœur tendre, mais il faut avoir une colonne vertébrale solide", il faut se demander exactement ce que cette phrase signifie dans ce contexte, pourquoi cette phrase constitue un argument contre le maintien de l'AFDC, et quel est exactement l'argument.

Dans le discours d'acceptation de Dan Quayle à la convention républicaine en 1992, il a dit, dans une question rhétorique argumentant contre l'impôt progressif sur le revenu, "Pourquoi les meilleurs éléments devraient-ils être punis ?" Pour donner un sens à cette question, il faut savoir pourquoi les riches sont "les meilleures personnes" et pourquoi l'impôt progressif sur le revenu constitue une "punition". Dans d'autres discours conservateurs, l'impôt progressif est qualifié de "vol" et de "confisquer l'argent des gens." Les conservateurs ne considèrent pas l'impôt progressif sur le revenu comme "le fait de payer sa juste part" ou un "devoir civique" ou même  que "noblesse oblige". Y a-t-il autre chose que la cupidité qui conduit les conservateurs à une vision de la fiscalité plutôt qu'à une autre ?

Voici quelques mots et expressions utilisés de manière récurrente dans le discours conservateur : caractère, vertu, discipline, dur à cuire, amour vache, fort, indépendance, responsabilité individuelle, colonne vertébrale, normes, autorité, héritage, concurrence, gain, travail, entreprise, droits de propriété, récompense, liberté, intrusion, interférence, ingérence, punition, nature humaine, traditionnel, bon sens, dépendance, complaisance, élite, quotas, effondrement, corruption, pourriture, dégénéré, déviant, style de vie.

Pourquoi les conservateurs utilisent-ils cette constellation de mots et de phrases pour défendre leurs politiques et comment les utilisent-ils exactement ? Qu'est-ce qui unifie exactement cette collection, qu'est-ce qui en fait une constellation unique ? Une solution au problème de la vision du monde doit répondre à toutes ces questions et plus encore. Elle doit expliquer pourquoi les conservateurs choisissent de parler des sujets qu'ils abordent, pourquoi ils choisissent les mots qu'ils utilisent, pourquoi ces mots ont le sens qu'ils ont pour eux, et comment leur raisonnement a un sens pour eux. Chaque discours, livre ou article conservateur est un défi à toute tentative de description de la vision conservatrice du monde.

Il en va de même, bien sûr, pour la vision de gauche du monde. Dans leurs discours et leurs écrits, les progressistes choisissent d'autres sujets, d'autres mots et d'autres modes de déduction que les conservateurs. Les personnes de gauche parlent des forces sociales, de la responsabilité sociale, de la liberté d'expression, des droits de l'homme, de l'égalité des droits, des préoccupations, des soins, de l'aide, de la santé, de la sécurité, de l'alimentation, de la dignité humaine fondamentale, de l'oppression, de la diversité, de la privation, de l'aliénation, des grandes entreprises, du bien-être des entreprises, de l'écologie, de l'écosystème, de la biodiversité, de la pollution, etc. Les conservateurs ont tendance à ne pas s'attarder sur ces sujets, ni à utiliser ces mots dans le cadre de leur discours politique normal. Une description des visions du monde progressiste et conservatrice devrait expliquer pourquoi.

Comme je l'ai mentionné plus haut, le conservatisme et le progressisme ne sont pas monolithiques. Il n'y aura pas une seule vision du monde conservatrice ou progressiste qui conviendra à tous les conservateurs ou à tous les progressistes. Le conservatisme et le libéralisme sont des catégories radiales."

"Au centre de la vision conservatrice du monde se trouve le modèle du Père autoritaire :

Ce modèle repose sur une famille nucléaire traditionnelle, le père ayant la responsabilité première de soutenir et de protéger la famille ainsi que l'autorité de définir la conduite générale des autres membres, d'établir des règles strictes pour le comportement des enfants et de faire respecter ces règles. La mère a la responsabilité quotidienne de s'occuper de la maison, d'élever les enfants et de faire respecter l'autorité du père. Les enfants doivent respecter leurs parents et leur obéir ; ce faisant, ils se forgent un caractère, c'est-à-dire une autodiscipline et une autosuffisance. L'amour et la tendresse sont, bien sûr, des éléments essentiels de la vie familiale, mais ils ne peuvent jamais l'emporter sur l'autorité parentale, qui est elle-même une expression de l'amour et de la tendresse - un amour dur. L'autodiscipline, la compétence et le respect de l'autorité légitime sont les éléments essentiels que les enfants doivent apprendre.

Une fois que les enfants ont atteint la maturité, ils sont livrés à eux-mêmes et doivent compter sur l'autodiscipline qu'ils ont acquise pour survivre. Leur autosuffisance leur confère une autorité sur leur propre destin, et les parents n'ont plus à se mêler de leur vie.

La vision progressiste du monde repose sur un idéal de la vie familiale très différent, le modèle du parent bienveillant :

L'amour, l'empathie et la sollicitude sont primordiaux, et les enfants deviennent responsables, autodisciplinés et autonomes en étant soignés, respectés et en prenant soin des autres, tant dans leur famille que dans leur communauté. Le soutien et la protection font partie de la sollicitude, et ils exigent force et courage de la part des parents. L'obéissance des enfants découle de l'amour et du respect qu'ils portent à leurs parents et à leur communauté, et non de la peur de la punition. Une bonne communication est cruciale. Pour que leur autorité soit légitime, les parents doivent expliquer pourquoi leurs décisions servent la cause de la protection et de l'éducation. Les questions des enfants sont considérées de façon positive, car les enfants ont besoin d'apprendre pourquoi leurs parents font ce qu'ils font et également les enfants ont souvent de bonnes idées qui méritent d'être prises en compte. En fin de compte, bien sûr, ce sont les parents responsables qui doivent prendre les décisions, et cela doit être clair.

L'objectif principal de la sollicitude est que les enfants soient épanouis et heureux dans leur vie. Une vie épanouie est supposée être, en grande partie, une vie de bienveillance - une vie généreusement engagée dans la sphère familiale et communautaire. Ce que les enfants ont le plus besoin d'apprendre, c'est l'empathie envers les autres, la capacité à prendre soin d'eux et à maintenir des liens sociaux, ce qui ne peut se faire sans la force, le respect, l'autodiscipline et l'autonomie que l'on acquiert en prenant soin d'eux. Élever un enfant pour qu'il soit épanoui exige également de l'aider à développer son aptitude à l'accomplissement personnel et à la joie. Pour cela, il faut respecter les valeurs que l'enfant développe et lui permettre d'explorer la gamme d'idées et d'options que le monde lui offre.

Lorsque les enfants sont respectés, nourris et qu'on communique avec eux dès la naissance, ils entrent progressivement dans une relation de respect mutuel, de communication et d'attention avec leurs parents.

Chaque modèle de famille induit un ensemble de priorités morales. Comme nous le verrons plus loin, ces systèmes utilisent les mêmes principes moraux mais leur donnent des priorités opposées. Les systèmes moraux qui en résultent, assemblés à partir des mêmes éléments, mais dans un ordre différent, sont radicalement opposés.

La moralité du Père autoritaire attribue les plus hautes priorités à des choses telles que la force morale (la maîtrise de soi et l'autodiscipline pour résister aux maux externes et internes), le respect et l'obéissance à l'autorité, l'établissement et le respect de directives et de normes de comportement strictes, etc. La morale de l''intérêt personnel affirme que si chacun est libre de poursuivre son intérêt personnel, l'intérêt personnel global de tous sera maximisé. Dans le conservatisme, la poursuite de l'intérêt personnel est considérée comme un moyen d'utiliser l'autodiscipline pour atteindre l'indépendance.

La moralité du Parent bienveillant a un ensemble de priorités différent. La sollicitude morale exige de l'empathie pour les autres et d'aider ceux qui ont besoin d'aide. Pour aider les autres, il faut prendre soin de soi et entretenir des liens sociaux. Et il faut être heureux et épanoui soi-même, sinon on aura peu d'empathie pour les autres. La poursuite de l'intérêt personnel n'a de sens moral que dans le cadre de ces priorités."

"Parce que je soutiendrai que les perspectives politiques sont dérivées de systèmes de concepts moraux, nous devons examiner en quoi consistent généralement ces concepts et pourquoi nous avons les concepts moraux que nous avons.

Une conclusion importante de la recherche en études cognitives est que la pensée morale est imaginative et qu'elle dépend fondamentalement de la compréhension métaphorique [...] Avant de poursuivre notre discussion sur les métaphores de la moralité, nous devons souligner l'évidence : la moralité n'est pas entièrement métaphorique et les aspects non métaphoriques de la moralité constituent la base du système de métaphores de la moralité. La moralité non métaphorique concerne l'expérience du bien-être. La forme la plus fondamentale de la moralité concerne la promotion du bien-être expérientiel d'autrui et l'évitement et la prévention des dommages expérientiels causés à autrui ou la perturbation du bien-être d'autrui.

Voici une partie de ce que l'on entend par "bien-être" : Toutes choses égales par ailleurs, vous vous portez mieux si vous êtes en bonne santé plutôt que malade, riche plutôt que pauvre, fort plutôt que faible, libre plutôt qu'emprisonné, soigné plutôt que sans soins, heureux plutôt que triste, entier plutôt que manquant, propre plutôt que sale, beau plutôt que laid, si vous vivez dans la lumière plutôt que dans l'obscurité, si vous pouvez vous tenir debout pour ne pas tomber, et si vous vivez dans une communauté avec des liens sociaux étroits, plutôt que dans une communauté hostile ou isolée. Ce sont là quelques-unes de nos formes expérientielles fondamentales de bien-être. Leurs opposés sont des formes de mal ou de manque de bien-être : pauvreté, maladie, tristesse, faiblesse, emprisonnement, etc. Une action immorale est une action qui cause un préjudice ou un manque de bien-être, c'est-à-dire une action qui prive quelqu'un d'un ou de plusieurs de ces éléments : santé, richesse, bonheur, force, liberté, sécurité, beauté, etc. Dans le cas des jeunes enfants, il incombe aux parents de faire de leur mieux pour garantir leur bien-être. Dans l'ensemble, les jeunes enfants se portent mieux s'ils sont obéissants plutôt que désobéissants à leurs parents, qui, dans le cas normal, ont leur intérêt à cœur, savent comment les protéger et exercent une autorité légitime.

Il s'agit bien sûr de normes, et la qualification "toutes choses égales par ailleurs" est nécessaire, car on peut penser à des cas particuliers où elles peuvent ne pas être vraies. Un enfant riche peut ne pas recevoir l'attention nécessaire de la part de ses parents, une personne belle peut être la cible de l'envie, on a habituellement besoin d'être dans le noir pour dormir, une liberté excessive peut parfois être nuisible, la tristesse et la douleur peuvent être nécessaires pour apprécier le bonheur, des liens sociaux trop étroits peuvent devenir oppressants, et les parents peuvent être abusifs, négligents ou ignorants. Mais, dans l'ensemble, ce compte rendu du bien-être expérientiel tient la route.

Ce sont ces conditions qui constituent le fondement de notre système de métaphores morales. Puisqu'il vaut mieux être riche que pauvre, la moralité est conceptualisée en termes de richesse. Puisqu'il vaut mieux être fort que faible, nous nous attendons à ce que la moralité soit conceptualisée en termes de force. Puisqu'il vaut mieux être en bonne santé que malade, il n'est pas surprenant de voir la moralité conceptualisée en termes de santé et de concepts associés comme la propreté et la pureté. Puisqu'il est préférable d'être soigné que de ne pas l'être, il semble naturel de voir la moralité conceptualisée en termes de soins. Et parce que, dans les cas normaux, les enfants ont tendance à mieux se porter s'ils obéissent à leurs parents plutôt que de leur désobéir, nous nous attendons à ce que la moralité soit conceptualisée en termes d'obéissance.

Ce que nous apprenons ainsi, c'est que la moralité métaphorique est fondée sur la moralité non métaphorique, c'est-à-dire sur des formes de bien-être, et que le système de métaphores de la moralité dans son ensemble est donc loin d'être arbitraire. Comme les mêmes formes de bien-être sont répandues dans le monde entier, nous nous attendons à ce que les mêmes métaphores de la moralité apparaissent dans toutes les cultures, et c'est le cas. Lorsque nous trouvons des rituels de purification, nous trouvons une manifestation de la moralité en tant que pureté. En raison de la peur répandue de l'obscurité, nous trouvons une conception répandue du mal comme étant l'obscurité et du bien comme étant la lumière. Parce qu'il vaut mieux marcher droit que de tomber, nous trouvons la métaphore répandue de la Morale comme Droiture. En bref, parce que notre notion de ce qui constitue le bien-être est largement partagée, notre réserve de métaphores pour la moralité est également largement partagée.

En effet, le caractère commun des métaphores de la moralité, tant au sein des sociétés qu'entre elles, soulève une question profonde : Quelles sont les différences entre les systèmes moraux et quelle est la source de ces différences ? Comme nous le verrons, les différentes conceptions de la famille constituent l'une de ces sources de différence, du moins au sein de la culture américaine."
    -George Lakoff, Moral Politics. How Liberals and Conservatives Think, The University of Chicago Press, 2016 (1996 pour la première édition).

Dernière édition par Johnathan R. Razorback le Mer 13 Avr - 11:08, édité 11 fois

Johnathan R. Razorback
    Johnathan R. Razorback
    Admin

Message par Johnathan R. Razorback Lun 9 Aoû - 12:41

"Il existe cependant au moins une catégorie de métaphores de la moralité qui, en soi, ne vous disent pas exactement quelles actions sont morales ou immorales. En ce sens, elles sont métamorales. Lorsqu'elles sont combinées à d'autres métaphores, elles génèrent des conclusions morales sur divers types de comportements.

L'un des concepts métamoraux les plus importants concerne la manière dont les livres de morale sont tenus. C'est cette métaphore qui nous permet de comprendre des concepts tels que la justice, l'équité, la rétribution et la vengeance."

"La métaphore de la comptabilité morale :

Nous concevons tous le bien-être comme une richesse. Nous comprenons une augmentation du bien-être comme un "gain" et une diminution du bien-être comme une "perte" ou un "coût". Lorsque nous parlons des "coûts" d'un incendie ou d'un tremblement de terre, nous n'entendons pas seulement le coût monétaire, mais aussi le "coût" en termes de bien-être humain -décès, blessures, souffrance, traumatisme. Lorsque nous parlons de "profiter" d'une expérience, nous parlons des types de bien-être que nous pourrions "gagner" grâce à cette expérience -peut-être la connaissance, le plaisir, la sophistication ou la confiance.

La métaphore par laquelle nous conceptualisons le bien-être comme une richesse est une métaphore omniprésente et importante dans nos systèmes conceptuels. Chaque fois que nous ne parlons pas littéralement d'argent et que nous nous demandons si une action en vaut la peine, nous utilisons cette métaphore financière pour traiter le bien-être ou le préjudice qui en résulte comme s'il s'agissait d'argent et pour voir si l'action est suffisamment "rentable". Cette métaphore économique nous permet d'utiliser les façons dont nous pensons et parlons de l'argent pour penser et parler du bien-être. Plus important encore, elle nous permet de penser à quelque chose de qualitatif (le bien-être) en termes de quelque chose de quantitatif (l'argent), ce qui nous permet d'utiliser nos formes étendues de raisonnement quantitatif sur quelque chose d'aussi insaisissable que le bien-être.

La métaphore de la Richesse-comme-Bien-être peut être combinée avec une métaphore très générale de l'action causale dans laquelle la causalité est vue comme un transfert d'objet -comme le fait de donner un effet à une partie affectée, comme dans "Le bruit m'a donné un mal de tête". La conception du bien-être comme richesse nous permet de voir un effet qui aide comme un gain et un effet qui nuit comme une perte. Dans des circonstances normales, une action morale est considérée comme une action destinée à aider (procurer un gain) et une action immorale comme une action destinée à nuire (procurer une perte). Grâce à ce mécanisme conceptuel, une action d'importance morale est conceptualisée en termes de transaction financière, une interaction morale étant métaphoriquement équivalente à une transaction financière dans laquelle les comptes sont équilibrés. Tout comme la comptabilité littérale est essentielle au fonctionnement économique, la comptabilité morale est essentielle au fonctionnement social. Et de même qu'il est important que les comptes financiers soient équilibrés, il est important que les comptes moraux soient équilibrés.

Bien sûr, le domaine source de la métaphore, le domaine des transactions financières, a lui-même une morale : Il est moral de payer ses dettes et immoral de ne pas le faire. Lorsque l'action morale est comprise métaphoriquement en termes de transaction financière, la moralité financière est reportée sur la moralité en général : Il existe un impératif moral non seulement de payer ses dettes financières mais aussi ses dettes morales.

Les schémas de comptabilité morale :

La métaphore générale de la comptabilité morale se concrétise dans un petit nombre de schémas moraux de base : réciprocité, rétribution, restitution, vengeance, altruisme, etc. Chacun de ces schémas moraux est défini à l'aide de la métaphore de la comptabilité morale, mais les schémas diffèrent quant à la façon dont ils utilisent cette métaphore, c'est-à-dire qu'ils diffèrent quant à leurs logiques inhérentes."

"Il existe deux utilisations générales distinctes de la métaphore du bien-être comme richesse, l'une concernant les résultats de l'interaction et l'autre les résultats de la distribution. La première est la métaphore de la comptabilité morale, avec des cas particuliers tels que la réciprocité, la rétribution, la restitution, la récompense et la punition. La seconde est l'action morale en tant que distribution équitable, avec de nombreuses versions de ce qui doit être considéré comme une distribution équitable.

"Cet exemple devrait permettre d'introduire la notion de métaphore conceptuelle, telle qu'elle est utilisée dans la linguistique cognitive contemporaine. Une métaphore conceptuelle est une correspondance entre des concepts de différents domaines conceptuels, permettant à des formes de raisonnement et à des mots d'un domaine (dans ce cas, le domaine économique) d'être utilisés dans l'autre (dans ce cas, le domaine moral). Il est extrêmement courant que de telles métaphores soient fixées dans nos systèmes conceptuels, et des milliers de ces métaphores contribuent à nos modes de pensée quotidiens. La plupart du temps, nous les utilisons sans effort ni conscience. Pourtant, comme nous allons le voir, elles jouent un rôle énorme dans la caractérisation de nos visions du monde.

Dans les deux chapitres suivants, nous examinerons deux systèmes moraux fondés sur la famille : la morale du père sévère et la morale du parent bienveillant. L'objectif de chaque chapitre est de présenter un ensemble de métaphores de la moralité qui sont hiérarchisées différemment par chacun de ces modèles de la famille. [...] Il en résulte deux systèmes moraux différents basés sur la famille. Les différentes métaphores de la moralité dans chaque système donnent lieu à différentes formes de raisonnement moral."
    -George Lakoff, Moral Politics. How Liberals and Conservatives Think, The University of Chicago Press, 2016 (1996 pour la première édition).

Johnathan R. Razorback
    Johnathan R. Razorback
    Admin

Message par Johnathan R. Razorback Ven 24 Juin - 18:01

Johnathan R. Razorback
    Johnathan R. Razorback
    Admin

Johnathan R. Razorback
    Johnathan R. Razorback
    Admin

Johnathan R. Razorback
    Johnathan R. Razorback
    Admin

Message par Johnathan R. Razorback Ven 24 Juin - 18:02

Johnathan R. Razorback
    Johnathan R. Razorback
    Admin

Message par Johnathan R. Razorback Ven 24 Juin - 18:02

Johnathan R. Razorback
    Johnathan R. Razorback
    Admin

Message par Johnathan R. Razorback Ven 24 Juin - 18:08

[Part Six: Who’s Right ? And How Can You Tell ?]

[20: Nonideological Reasons for Being a Liberal]

"I am not a moral relativist. I am a committed liberal. In the process of writing this book, I have had to examine, and therefore question, every point of my own beliefs. Every day, I have had to compare my liberal beliefs with conservative beliefs and ask myself what, if any, reason I had to hold my beliefs. I have emerged from the process with a great respect for the coherence of the conservative position and for the intelligence and cleverness used by conservatives in articulating their views in a powerful way. Like many other liberals, I once thought of conservatives disparagingly as mean, or insensitive, or selfish, or tools of the rich, or just downright fascists. I have come to realize that conservatives are, for the most part, ordinary people who see themselves as highly moral idealists defending what they deeply believe is right. I now understand why there are so many fervently committed conservatives.

I also find conservatism, now that I think I understand it reasonably well, even more frightening than I did before. My new understanding of conservatism and liberalism has made me more of a liberal than ever. I find that I now can consciously comprehend my old instincts. I can give names to things that I could not clearly articulate before, things that were part of a vague sense of what was right. What’s more important is that I understand that political liberalism comes out of a well-grounded, highly structured, and fully developed moral system that I deeply believe in. That moral system itself comes out of a model of the family that I also deeply believe in. Now that I can see the unity and strength of liberal morality and politics, I feel more than ever that liberalism must be articulated fully, communicated clearly, and defended staunchly, not on an issue-by-issue basis, but as a whole, as a deeply moral perspective on politics.

It may sound as if my old prejudices have just been reinforced and that I am taking liberalism on faith alone. Not so. The process of thinking all this through has convinced me that there are overwhelming reasons to be a liberal that come from outside liberalism itself. I think I can finally put my finger on just why I have been a liberal, why political liberalism has always made sense to me, why it has always been not only an idealistic and practical calling but mainly a response to my most fundamental human instincts. What I have found, in the course of this study, is that there are in fact good reasons for choosing the Nurturant Parent model of the family, Nurturant Parent morality, and with them, liberal politics."

"If I were to be asked to list those reasons and the bases for them very briefly at the outset, each in one or two sentences, here is what that list would be:

Reason 1. The Nurturant Parent model is superior as a method of childrearing.
    Reason 2. Strict Father morality requires a view of human thought that is at odds with what we know about the way the mind works.
    Reason 3. Strict Father morality often finds morality in harm; Nurturant Parent morality does not.

There are, of course, other real-world reasons to be a liberal. The environment is being seriously threatened right now, and conservative moves to end environmental controls, such as clean-air and pure-water enforcement, will only make things much worse. At present, 70 percent of the wealth in America is owned by 10 percent of the families. That means that 90 percent of the families share only 30 percent of the wealth. Since the rich have always tended to get richer, not poorer, the prospects are for a less than 30 percent share of the national wealth to be available to 90 percent of our population. That disparity is so large that it threatens the possibility for real prosperity for most of our citizens. Further conservative tax cuts for the rich will only make the disparity larger.

These and many other real-world reasons make conservatism dangerous. But there is no lack of competent observers writing about these issues. Let me turn instead to the three reasons I just mentioned, since the public is not widely aware of them."

[21: Raising Real Children]

I should say at the outset that virtually all of the mainstream experts on childrearing see the Strict Father model as being destructive to children. A nurturant approach is preferred. And most of the child development literature within the field of developmental psychology points in one direction: childrearing according to the Strict Father model harms children; a Nurturant Parent model is far superior.

In short, conservative family values, which are the basis for conservative morality and political thought, are not supported by either research in child development or the mainstream childrearing experts in the country. That is another reason why the conservative family agenda has been left to fundamentalist Christians. Since there is no significant body of mainstream experts who support the Strict Father model, conservatives can rely only on fundamentalist Christians."

"The conservative family values movement is pushing hard to stop the funding of social workers who investigate child abuse."

"Attachment Theory

What is it that leads to disturbed family relationships, to child abuse, to alienated, dysfunctional adults who have little stake in society? There are many lines of research into this question. One of the principal ones is attachment theory. It was first developed by John Bowlby and Mary Ainsworth thirty years ago, and has now become a mature, well-respected, and far-flung research endeavor. For an excellent popular survey of this research, see Becoming Attached, by Robert Karen [...]

Attachment theory over the past thirty years has documented the disastrous effects of

the old-fashioned . . . style of parenting, which was impatient with the child’s emotional demands, which held that the greatest sin was to spoil children by showing too much concern for their outbursts, protests, or plaints, which was insensitive to the harm done by separating the child from its primary caregiver, and which held that strict discipline was the surest route to maturity. [...]

Attachment theory indicates the opposite, that “getting love reliably and consistently makes the child feel worthy of love; and his perception that he can attain what he needs from those around him yields the sense that he is an effective person who can have an impact on his world” (Karen, p. 242). Self-discipline and self-denial are not what makes children self-reliant. Nurturance does not spoil children. As Mary Ainsworth says, “It’s a good thing to give a baby and a young child physical contact, especially when they want it and seek it. It doesn’t spoil them. It doesn’t make them clingy. It doesn’t make them addicted to being held” (Karen, p. 173). This is supported by longitudinal studies. “Babies cried less at twelve months if their cries had been responded to conscientiously when they were younger” (Karen, p. 173). “Whatever relationship advantages secure attachment does tend to confer persist through age fifteen” (Karen, p. 202), which is as long as the studies have been carried out. The latter is a remarkable finding; secure attachments developed early have a lasting effect.

The basic claim of attachment theory, considerably oversimplified, is this: A child will function better in later life if he is “securely attached” to his mother or father or other caregiver from birth. That is, he will be more self-reliant, responsible, socially adept, and confident. Secure attachment arises from regular, loving interaction, especially when the child desires it. Letting a child go it alone and tough it out, denying him loving interaction when he wants it does not create strength, confidence, and self-reliance. It creates “avoidant attachment”—lack of trust, difficulties in relating positively to others, lack of respect for and responsibility toward others, and in many cases antisocial or criminal behavior and rage.
    Alternate unsure experiences of attachment and avoidance by parents create a third type of attachment: ambivalent attachment, which results in ambivalent behavior towards others in later life, a dread of abandonment and an inability to see one’s own responsibility in relationships, and continuing feelings of anger and hurt toward one’s parents. Ambivalent attachment might arise, for example, from painful punishment (to enforce obedience) followed by extreme affection (to show daddy loves you). These results appear at present to support the values of the Nurturant Parent model over the Strict Father model.

Importantly, it is not just Strict Father family values that harm children. Consider a young, impoverished, uneducated single mother who does not know how to nurture a child properly and who hits or ignores her child when he needs attention. The effect may be avoidant attachment coming from a source other than Strict Father parenting, namely, neglect. In the American context, it is a bit ironic that the Strict Father model applied in a two-parent family may have effects that are similar to those of families with inattentive or violent single mothers, where there is no father, strict or otherwise. The issue is not one parent or two. The issue is the quality of nurturance.

Critiques of attachment theory are varied: Some critics suggest a greater role for genetic predisposition and some suggest that the results are culturally relative. But no major body of research supports the Strict Father model on this issue. So far as present results show, the denial of secure attachment does not build self-reliance and responsibility for others, as advocates of Strict Father parenting imply."

Contenu sponsorisé

Message par Contenu sponsorisé

La date/heure actuelle est Lun 13 Mai - 5:01